About a month ago I wrote this post about a computer repair experience I had with an overheating modem. Since that time it has come to my attention that the overheating modem issue is far more common than I had imagined.
In this post I will show you six great ways to keep your modem cool which will allow your Internet connection to remain strong:
1) If nothing more, raise the modem up so that there is airflow both top and bottom (or turn it vertically if possible).
3) Put the modem on top of one of those laptop computer coolers.
4) If possible, remove the top cover of the modem case – you’ll have an ugly modem but it will stay cool!
5) If you’re really a geek, attach an old chipset heatsink to the modem board (photo bottom right).
6) For the adventurous types, put a few ice cubes into a watertight Ziploc bag, place within another Ziploc bag, and put the bag on top of the modem (check once in a while for condensation).
Professor Randy says: A modem that is overheating will drop your Internet connection and wear out before it’s time. Avoid this problem by considering the simple suggestions listed above!